- Long QT syndrome (LQTS) is characterized by abnormality in repolarization of the heart leading long QT interval.
- Long QT can occur due to noise, exercise etc.
- Long QT syndrome can be present at birth or can be seen in older children.
- Causes: genetic, medicines, electrolyte imbalance, drugs like antimicrobials, anti-arrhythmic, antipsychotic medicines etc.
- Classified into various types, most common is Long QT 1.
- This can lead to abnormal heart beat and can lead to fainting attacks (syncope), palpitation, drowning, sudden cardiac death
- Holter analysis
- Avoiding aggressive exercise
- Enough intake of potassium, calcium rich diet etc
- Beta blockers, mexiletine
Other treatment measures